“Water sports have been banned at a lake in Powys after toxic blue-green algae was identified.
“Possible side effects of the toxins include skin rashes, eye irritation, vomiting fever, diarrhoea and muscle pain.
“The location of the algae is caused by the conditions, such as wind direction and rainfall. It also expands and contracts depending on the amount of sunlight and temperature.
Steve Clinton, the council’s public protection manager, said: ‘Blue-green algae has the potential to cause illness if swallowed or even by just coming into contact with it.
‘Blue-green algae occurs naturally in inland waters, estuaries and seas and cannot be removed or treated.’ ”
Read more: BBC News